We are doing our business in the following domains:
- Agile Web Development with Ruby/Rails
- Education and Creation of Teaching Materials
- Research and Development to support our works
Summary of Works
(NOTE: Please jump to SlideShare’s page if you cannot see the slides above.)
- Become a official partner of the professional cloud-based Rails CMS, Scrivito
- Introduced as CoderDojo Heroes by CoderDojo’s official blog
- Introduced as one of contributoring companies to Ruby by Matz Keynote at RubyKaigi
- Interviewed by HackerSpace Film for our Continuous Translation System
- Talk about how we continuously translate RailsTutorial & RailsGuides at RubyWorld Conference 2015
Main Works and Contribution
- Web Services and Mobile Applications:
- Education, Workshops, and Materials:
- Lexues Academy, providing project-based learning course with students in Okinawa.
- Digi-Lab Okinawa: Teach kids in Okinawa to code with Scratch & Raspberry Pi
- 1.5-hour Workshop for Kids to learn Programming with Scratch & Raspberry Pi
- Physical-Digital Chaing Reactioni using Raspberry Pi (ja)
- Rails Guides in Japanese, one of the most famous Rails references in Japan.
- Rails Tutorial in Japanese, one of the most famous Rails books in Japan.
- Open-source Communities:
We’re mainly working on Ruby/Rails web development, education, and open-source activities. We have two offices in Okinawa and Tokyo, Japan, and we work remotely using GitHub, Appear, Idobata, etc.
CEO: Yohei Yasukawa
He obtained the degree of Master in Information and Computer Science from Waseda University, and studied at Monmouth College in Illinois, USA. He founded YassLab company in 2012, a small distributed company focusing on Ruby/Rails web development, education, and opensource projects.
Now, welcoming co-workers who also have open-source mind into YassLab team, we work remotely, challenge to automate translating Japanese Rails Guides and Rails Tutorial, and try to apply the continuous translation system for other GitHub-based tech docs.
Not only such businesses, but also his company contributes to opensource communities by founding and organizing Okinawa.rb/Okinawa RubyKaigi, serving as a chairman of CoderDojo Japan, and translating Rails Tutorial into Japanese/Ruby Hacking Guide into English.
For such enthusiastic contribution to IT and Education fields in Japan, our works were accepted by The MITOH Program in 2012, seleted as one of TEDxRyukyu talks in 2013, and awarded Outstanding Performance Awards at Fukuoka Ruby Award in 2014.
Since 2015, in order to bridge the knowledge of teaching kids to code between Japan and the world, he also works as a Community Committee at CoderDojo, the global network of free computer programming clubs for young people. For the future, his company is developing continuous translation system that translates documents in real time using Git and Translation Memory technique. Its outcomes include Japanese Rails Tutorial and Rails Guides in Japanese.
- Style: Lifestyle Business
- Owner: Yohei Yasukawa
- Size: 5 people
- Date: Since June 1, 2012
- Name: YassLab & Co.
- Member of:
- Rails Programmer Certification Test Steering Committee (Technical Adviser)
- Business OSS Consortium Japan (Certified Rails Integrator)
- RyukyuFrogs (Technical Supporter)
- RubyKaigi (Translation Staff/Supporter)
- Scrivito (Implementation/Consulting Partners)
- Mitou Foundation (Project Manager at Mitou Jr.)
If interested, feel free to contact us.